[Qgis-developer] QGIS Processing Framework

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Fri Apr 29 11:12:42 EDT 2011

Hello,

Some final thoughts before the week end :

- Even though its clear that the main objective is to have this
framework well integrated in Qgis, it would be nice if it could be
accessed without running Qgis, at least for the "back end" part. Being
able to access it through a standard Python shell would be very usefull.
I think it converges with Paolo's idea of having a scriptable Qgis.

- Having the backend accessible through a C/C++ interface would then be
great , so that we can access it not only from Python, but also from
other non-Python-compatible langages/applications (say Java for example,
to be able to integrate it in current state of the art WPS implementations)

- Being able to run each module GUI independently, outside Qgis, would
be nice also. Less sure on this one... At least not the priority.

For the OTB modules we have some other target applications where we
would like to push our modules. I'm now seeing things in a much wider
scope thanks to this discussion, and I'm telling myself we should handle
things one step above : it is probably the Qgis framework that we will
want to wrap in other applications.
As already said, using as much manpower as possible from the open source
community is important so that it becomes a success story.

Maybe those points are obvious to all of you, just wanted to mention
them to be sure.

And I know : one step at a time ;)

Best regards,
Julien