[Qgis-developer] Why a standalone app?

Bob English bobengl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:59:30 EDT 2011

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for your interest and question.  I think the main reason is to
provide only the GUI elements that people need to do the tasks that the
application is designed to accomplish.  Although many of the users will have
good GIS experience, some may not.  I've found from teaching high school
teachers GIS that even very smart people often have trouble with the complex
interface of QGIS, or other GIS applications.

You mentioned in a previous post that it was possible to remove menu's etc.
in the new Wroclaw version.  Do you mean you can do this in code through the
plugin interface?

Thanks,
Bob

-----