[Qgis-developer] Confusion over QGIS API versions

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Aug 7 07:19:05 EDT 2011

Hi Bob

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Bob English <bobengl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Devs,
>
> I didn't understand that there is a new release of the API with every new
> release of QGIS.  I am actually using the version of the API that came with
> Copiapo, but I was using the Stable 1.0 API documentation.  Is it worth
> adding a sentence or two under the "API Stability" heading for both the
> Stable 1.0 and Trunk-2034d59 versions of the documentation to make this
> clear?  Perhaps with a link to the latest version of the documentation?

In general each release we make has the same API as previous releases
but may extend it with new functionality too (i.e. it is intended to
be backwards compatible). There have been one or two cases where we
needed to break backwards compatibility because of a bug in the API
but these cases are isolated. So in theory if you develop something
agains 1.0 it should work against current trunk. Do note that 2.0 (our
next major release) will break API compatibility (though that
compatibility will be maintained through the 2.x release series). If
you find specific instances where the api has bee changed by dropping
methods, please let us know as that should be considered a bug
probably.

Regards

Tim

> Thanks,