[Qgis-developer] Breaking API and merge of threading branch

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Aug 10 06:41:18 EDT 2011

Il 10/08/2011 12:32, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Anyway +1 for API breakage from me - we will continue maintaining
> 1.7.x for now anyway for those looking for stability. The number of
> things we can reasonable backport will shrink as we mess with the API
> but I don't see the impact to be too big.

+1 to break API
I think:
- from a power user point of view (and for plugin writers), the largest impact will
be in loosing (and having to rewrite) a lot of plugins, at least for several weeks or
months; for this, I think it is very important to move *before breakage* all the
plugins (if the authors agree) to the new infrastructure, so devs could help each
other migrating to new API
- it would be good to have 1.8 binaries for major distros before the breakage, so
people willing to use new features *and* existing plugins will be happy.
Does this sound reasonable?
All the best.