[Qgis-developer] OS X Lion (and other) status

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Aug 14 12:17:29 EDT 2011

Well, I've finally made it to QGIS in my Lion upgrade.  QGIS compiled for Snow Leopard seems to work fine on Lion, though it will continue to use Python 2.6.  As for Lion compilation and use, some notes...

- default llvm compiler seems to work fine.

- git is now installed with Xcode.

- (not really Lion-only - all OSX versions) cmake 2.8.5 is broken for detecting Qt4 frameworks.  Fixed in dev, so until 2.8.6 is released use 2.8.4.

- Apple dropped libfcgi and mod_fastcgi from their distribution, so anyone that wants to use the QGIS mapserver needs to install them separately.  I'll try to do something in my QGIS packages.  Is fastcgi an absolute technical requirement, other than just for performance?  Can the code be adjusted to run as a normal cgi?

- Python 2.7 in Lion!

- QGIS compiles with Qt 4.7.3, but there are harmless warnings about not being supported on Lion.  No problems at runtime.

For future packages I have a plan described on my site news.  Briefly: one package to work on both Snow Leopard and Lion (with python 2.6/2.7 switching based on system version), one package for Leopard until all the PPC Macs where I work are replaced (not that we really use QGIS much), maybe sooner if maintaining a Leopard dev Mac becomes too troublesome.

I may start using an installer package for 1.8 dev and beyond.  I'm still trying to figure out if I can bundle osg[earth] (issue locating bundled osg plugins).  I would need an installer to install osg outside the QGIS application.  An installer may also be needed to switch pythons for the system version.  This would also make it possible to create an all-in-one installer, though the parts would be installed in a couple different locations.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe