[Qgis-developer] new plugin scenario

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Aug 22 15:00:32 EDT 2011

Hi devs,

For a pet-project I wrote a small plugin. I thought of calling it
'xytools plugin' (it should make it easier to handle those csv/excell
files with data and (empty) x,y columns).

I want it to be a 'proper' qgis plugin, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

- I upload my code to github
(what's the idea there: to put it in github in my own space:
https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/ so others can fork/use it?)

- I 'registre' the project to hub.qgis.org (thereby making it possible
for others to issue bugs).
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/qgis-user-plugins

- I upload the plugin to the plugin repositories:
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/ (for qgis >-= 2.0)
http://pyqgis.org/ (for qgis <2.0)

Do I miss something here?
Like: is there a central page do write some information about the plugin
(I normally did that on my own server, but are happy to do that
somewhere else (rst preferably).

Is there already a wikipage for this scenario? If not I will write this
down in a page.

Ok, thanks for input.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps the plugin put's a button in the digitize menu, with which you can
(after loading a dbf/csv file) set an x and y column and then fill the
x,y for every record by clicking in a (reference) map.
You can also write a (point) shapefile of that table, or a csv. So by
want.
It is written for somebody who wanted to digitize old fieldnames
(veldnamen we say in dutch) from old historical maps. He typed all data
in an excell file but had no x,y values, only geotiffs of the original
maps. This plugin made it possible to fill the xy colums by clicking in
the geotiff...