[Qgis-developer] SAGA Interface for QGIS - Final GSoC Report

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 17:03:00 EDT 2011

Hi Camilo

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Camilo Polymeris <cpolymeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am happy to say that this week saw many improvements in the QGIS
> Processing Framework and the interface to SAGA.
>
> [...]

It's great to see the final touches improving the usability.

Regarding the number of settings it would be good to offer as few
choices as possible. Many times the settings can be avoided and a
sensible default choice can be used. For example the setting "Number
of tags to show" is very confusing.

For the module dialog the status bar could be changed to a simple
QLabel if you are not going to add further widgets or indicators to
it. The status bar also contains a superfluous size gripper for
changing dialog size. Additionally the Open and Save buttons simply
close the module dialog - that's a bit unexpected :)

> Finally, due to rising interest in interfacing other libraries (GRASS,
> OTB) I have published the API documentation[3] on the framework and
> started writing a Developer's Tutorial[4].

Thanks for the documentation. In the developer's tutorial I am missing
two important bits:
1. how to implement the module's functionality when "Execute" button is clicked
2. how to execute a module from a script or python console

> Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost over, but it is my intention to
> continue maintaining this software, first focusing on polishing the
> available code and later adding more features: Support for further
> parameter types, interactive modules, and module instance
> serialization, among many other proposed.

It was great to have you aboard during the summer! We hope you enjoyed
it and you will continue hacking on the processing/SAGA tools to
support even broader range of modules and to make the user experience
as seamless as possible. And of course you are welcome to start
hacking on other parts of QGIS, too :-)

Regards
Martin