[Qgis-developer] Decorations

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 05:38:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Borys Jurgiel <info at borysjurgiel.pl> wrote:
>> @Borys: is it possible to get rid of this check during startup?
>
> Done. The check is now performed only when installing a new plugin:
>
> https://github.com/borysiasty/Quantum-GIS
>
> In my computer (186 python plugins installed) disabling this check decreases
> the loading time from ~12 to ~9 sec with all plugins (except the installer)
> disabled, and doesn't make any visible difference when they all are enabled
> (~21 sec). I counted from start to the splashscreen disapear; not included the
> first run after any modification.

Well, but that's a loading time from "hot" start, right? You should
first drop operating system's file cache to experience a "cold" start
that has to load all files from hard drive (and not just from memory).
How to do it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/478340/clear-file-cache-to-repeat-performance-testing

>> To optimize the loading speed I would like to move plugins' metadata
>> from __init__.py to a text file (e.g. metadata.txt) - this would mean
>> that the plugin code would not have to be loaded at all if disabled.
>
> Well, I haven't noticed any difference in this. Also completely disabling the
> installer gives loading speed ~ 8-9 sec (the <1 sec speed-up can be within the
> measurement error).

But the plugins still have to be loaded (at least their __init__.py)
to get the metadata. I expect the loading time to drop significantly -
just try to run qgis with --noplugins option to see the difference.

Martin