[Qgis-developer] [WEBCLIENT]Specific mailinglist? (was: Mailinglist for QGIS Web-Client)

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Aug 27 18:24:13 EDT 2011

Hi

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mayeul Kauffmann
<mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr> wrote:

> Le vendredi 26 août 2011 à 23:26 +0200, Tim Sutton a écrit :
>> But seriously, ...tagging subjects like [WEBCLIENT] Help my blah blah
>> blah... is what he had in mind I think....though that requires a level
>> of inolvement in list politics that most of our subscribers may not
>> possess I am afraid....
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>
> Hi
> Yes, tagging the subjects is the easiest to implement, use, and is
> forgiving.. It would already be great. Disadvantage is that it makes
> long subjects sometimes, not always though.
> For instance, this subject would become:
>
> [Qgis-developer][WEBCLIENT] Sepecific mailinglist?
>
> It is possible to make shorter subjects by modifying the first part of
> the subject (server side):
> [Qgis-dev][WEBCLIENT] Specific mailinglist?
>
> Or even [QgisDev][WebClient] Specific mailinglist?
>
> We already have [Qgis-tr], so why not have shorter tags than
> [Qgis-developer] ?
>
> I suggest CamelCase for readibility, the email client filters are
> normally case insensitive.

I like this idea but we need to bear in mind that changing the server
side added header from mailman might mess up existing filters for QGIS
Dev. If nobody objects though we can file a ticket on the OSGEO SAC
for this to be done.

Regards

Tim

> For the tags, we need to agree on them to help users create rules. This
> should be somehow consistent with tagging practices in tracking, wiki,
> etc.
> Badly-tagged emails can still be filtered manually by end readers.
>
> My genuine question implied something different, one possibility would
> have been to put tags in the full text for the cases where there is
> overlap between two subjects. This would avoid very long subjects, but
> those situations are rare and this would slow down the email filters a
> lot, so forget it.
>
> Marco wrote:
>> You make me sound too smart, and you still didnt give me the target
>>  arch of your calculator :)
> What about doing this for my Kodak EasyShare M420 digicam? Easier task:
> It already has the zoom in and zoom out buttons ;-)
>
> Mayeul

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux