[Qgis-developer] Excel Export from QGIS attribute table

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 1 03:19:30 EST 2011

 Hi,

 It is a common requirement that users want to export a QGIS attribute
 table to Excel/CSV/Spreadsheet. While CSV is probably easy, the other
 two are probably more complex, but there are some good Python libraries
 around. For my users, Excel is the most requested table export format.

 I wonder if this could be made into the core, as I think that most
 other user want that as well. The idea is to have an export button for
 the table, choose the format (CSV, Excel, Openoffice) and let the user
 select if he wants all data export, or only filtered or selected rows.

 I guess it would be best to use Python for that purpose, as Python has
 some good Excel libraries:

 * pyExcelerator: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/ (Excel
 97/2000/XP/2003)
 * xlrd und xlwt (reader/writer): http://www.python-excel.org (Excel 2.0
 to 2007)
 * openpyxl: https://bitbucket.org/ericgazoni/openpyxl/wiki/Home (Excel
 2007 and higher)

 Do any of you have experience with one of the above listed packages or
 any other recommendations? How about OpenOffice writing?

 Goal: cross platform without the need to have MSOffice or OpenOffice
 installed.

 Would this be best implemented in C++ or in Python?

 Who else would be interested in such functionality?

 Thanks,
 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A