[Qgis-developer] Excel Export from QGIS attribute table

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 1 03:32:01 EST 2011

 Hi Alex,

> My biggest question is why do you need anything other than CSV? Excel
> and OpenOffice both open CSV automatically already. Both also open
> dbf, though saving back to either csv or dbf can be extremely tricky.
> Not to mention everything else scientific can use csv - for example
> R,
> python, etc.

 Personally I agree - for me, CSV export would be good enough. However,
 my users demand Excel. The CSV importer in Openoffice is very good, in
 Excel it sucks (at least in version 2003 which we have). It is just too
 complicated for our users to import the CSV in Excel. These are not GIS
 or DB users - they are just regular users with no experience in data
 importing.

 Often, the goal is to format and print the selected data from the
 attributes. For that purpose being able to quickly export to a
 spreadsheet would be benefitial.

> Personally spreadsheets are a good way to ruin your data quick,
> though they can be useful for one off final formatting of tables for
> presentations and quick calculations.
>
> I'd be much more interested in reading of xls, xlsx, ods etc as
> tables for joining or generating spatial X,Y layers.

 this would be useful as well ;-)

 Andreas

 --
 Andreas Neumann