[Qgis-developer] Re: Excel Export from QGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Dec 2 01:44:17 EST 2011

 Hi,

 These are almost exactly the reasons why want to export to spreadsheet:

 * people want to print tables
 * people want to reformat tables
 * people want to share the data (e.g. sending an email, post results on
 the webpage) - for this purpose a PDF would also be good enough often.

 For the long run we also want a reporting tool (something like Jasper)
 for printing forms/statistics/charts/diagrams/map views directly from
 QGIS. But I know this is complex ...

 Andreas

 On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:55:40 +1300, Alister Hood wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> Just a couple of thoughts:
>
> As others have mentioned, many people want to export to Excel mainly
> for
> formatting and printing, perhaps with some added calculations.  The
> ideal would be to improve formatting and printing in QGIS so that
> this
> isn't necessary.
> Spreadsheets aren't particularly great for it anyway, and doing it in
> QGIS would mean that you wouldn't need to export and format again if
> the
> data is updated.
> I imagine this could eventually be quite a lot of work - perhaps it
> would be a good idea for a Summer of Code project.  I guess it would
> include work on:
> - table formatting
> - number formatting (also see #4426, although that is not about
> specifying how data in an existing column is displayed).
> - virtual columns (similar to the new expression based labelling).
> - easy breaking of tables across multiple pages, page numbering etc.
>
> Some people also like to export data to Excel, modify it, and bring
> it
> back into GIS.  Like someone said, this is a recipe for headaches, if
> not disaster.  I think it would be great if we could identify any
> further enhancements to the attribute table and the field calculator
> which would help people not to do this.
>
> Alister

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A