[Qgis-developer] Re: Excel Export from QGIS

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Fri Dec 2 03:09:47 EST 2011

Also see
http://fosslc.org/drupal/content/earth-observation-scientific-workflows-
distributed-computing-environment

From: Alister Hood
Sent: Friday, 2 December 2011 9:01 p.m.
To: 'Bob and Deb'
Cc: Tim Sutton; qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: RE: [Qgis-developer] Re: Excel Export from QGIS

That link should be http://code.google.com/p/eo4vistrails/
<http://code.google.com/p/eo4vistrails/>  J

From: Bob and Deb [mailto:bobdebm at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 2 December 2011 8:47 p.m.
To: Alister Hood
Cc: Tim Sutton; qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org

This discussion reminds me of the reasons why I'm excited about the
Vistrails plugin for QGIS (see
http://code.googlegroups.com/p/eo4vistrails/).  Has anyone given it a
try yet?

On Dec 1, 2011 11:34 PM, "Alister Hood" <alister.hood at synergine.com>
wrote:

Hi Tim,

> [...]

Sure, import/export of spreadsheet formats would definitely be nice.  It
would be great if someone implemented it.
And I'm not saying it would be a technical disaster; more of an
organisational disaster.  After a user exports to excel and formats it
all nicely for printing, they would need to export and format again
every time they want to print, if the original data changes.  Hopefully
they won't be doing much in Excel other than formatting to get the data
ready for printing, or it could get quite painful.
If they're exporting to Excel to process the data and then import it
back into QGIS, there will be all sorts of added complications e.g.
because of separating the attribute data from the features, and because
Excel won't respect and preserve the data type of each field.

I'm an engineer - I work with Word and Excel all day every day.  But
often (or perhaps mostly) they are not really the right tools for the
job, and we need to do all sorts of nasty hackery to get the job done.
Basically I'm just saying that in most of the cases where someone would
go from QGIS to Excel, Excel is not the ideal tool for the job, and with
some improvements QGIS definitely would be.

Alister