[Qgis-developer] Heatmap Plugin

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Sat Dec 3 05:48:52 EST 2011

 >Heatmaps would be great because currently, it's always necessary to
start GRASS to do something >like that.
 >Can you write it in C++ to go into core?

 >The input should be any point layer file. Output should be a raster
layer. A lot of usable code should >be contained in the interpolation
plugin which works in this way.

I can only second that. A convenient way to write a new interpolation
function is to derive a subclass from QgsInterpolator
(src/analysis/qgsinterpolator.h). Interpolation usually requires a lot
of computation, therefore it is good to implement it in the analysis
library in C++. Like that, the method is available to QGIS and its
plugins (also python) and other applications using QGIS libs.

Regards,
Marco

On 03.12.2011 10:48, Anita Graser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM, aruntheguy at gmail.com
> <mailto:aruntheguy at gmail.com> <aruntheguy at gmail.com
> <mailto:aruntheguy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I was browsing through the plugin ideas to work on something, and
>     this
>     http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Python_Plugin_Ideas#heatmaps-reusable-python-code
>     particular plugin idea seemed to be a good start.
>

> Heatmaps would be great because currently, it's always necessary to
> start GRASS to do something like that.
> Can you write it in C++ to go into core?
>

>     Is anyone already working on it? Otherwise I will take it up.
>
>     The page contains just the link. It would be great if more
>     information is provided like, use scenario, what it is exactly
>     supposed to do? The Input is of course a gpx file, with the
>     available code, what should be produced as the output in Qgis? Any
>     information regarding this is welcome.
>

> The input should be any point layer file. Output should be a raster
> layer. A lot of usable code should be contained in the interpolation
> plugin which works in this way.
>
> Looking forward to having this functionality in QGIS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anita
>
>     :)
>
>     --
>     Regards
>     Arunmozhi
>     Twitter: @tecoholic
>     Website: http://arunmozhi.in
>     IRC Nick: teco

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux&  Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland