[Qgis-developer] Benchmarking / optimization

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 05:12:20 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch>
> <dream>
> A real killer feature would be to have an application that takes a project
> and a source tree, runs all the revisions in master branch and outputs the
> times  for the revisions in a csv file.
> </dream>

Complete recompilation of core, gui libs and  ogr, postgres,
spatialite providers takes about 10 minutes (should be less with
incremental steps in commits). Those libs + providers occupy about
60MB (RelWithDebugInfo). There are about 1700 commits to those dirs in
1.x line. Currently I have about 25 projects to test, each renders in
about 5 s, 10 iterations are used.

Compilation time: 1700 * 10 / 60 / 24 = 12 days
Space occupied by binaries: 1700 * 60 / 1024  = 100 GB
Benchmark time: 1700 * 25 * 6 * 10 / 3600 / 24 = 30 days

It seems feasible at least for recent history. It would be more
practical than ad hoc bisects.

Radim