[Qgis-developer] My first Qgis plugin - what next?

Ole Nielsen ole.moller.nielsen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 05:28:27 EST 2011

Hi all

First up, thanks to everyone who helped me get started last week when I
tried my hand at writing QGis plugins for the first time. With the help of
the community and the nice environment QGis provides, it was a pleasant
experience to take these first steps.

I wish to give back to the FOSS community, so have written a small but
working plugin that calculates polygon centroids. The reason I picked this
task is that I had QGis crash when trying to calculate centroids for large
datasets. A test set with about 47,000 polygon features showing this
behaviour is OSM_building_footprints_20111115.shp which is available in
test_data <http://www.aifdr.org/projects/CentroidPlugin/browser/test_data>.
The new plugin uses numpy vector operations and does the same job in about
10 seconds (on my machine), so I think it will be useful. The source code,
installation instructions, test suite, screen shots and so on are available
here: http://www.aifdr.org/projects/CentroidPlugin

The plugin still needs some work, mainly on the UI side, and if the
community finds it useful I hope someone will help doing that. The
outstanding issues that I know are recorded here
tractickets<http://www.aifdr.org/projects/CentroidPlugin/report/1> and
if anyone finds problems and issues, please report them here
newticket<http://www.aifdr.org/projects/CentroidPlugin/newticket>

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this - if it isn't please let
me know what the process is for contributing this kind of work.

Cheers and thanks
Ole Nielsen, Jakarta