[Qgis-developer] github vs hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Fri Dec 16 05:58:56 EST 2011

Hi Richard,

There was never an in-depth discussion about the role of hub.qgis.org vs
github.com.
Since I was involved in the setup of both platforms, here my personal view:

We want to have direct links between tickets and changesets for QGIS.
Therefore we need the git repository viewer on hub.qgis.org. But for me,
gitosis on hub.qgis.org is only a backup solution to keep a certain
independency from github.com. Due to the nature of a distributed VCS, the risk
of this dependency is low and we won't be able to compete with github.com in
terms of features. So I suggest people to publish their (plugin) code on
github. And If they don't want that, they have the possibility to use the
OSGEO hosted git repo on hub.qgis.org (with less functionality).

Regards
Pirmin

Am Freitag, 16. Dezember 2011, um 09.48:17 schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde:
> Hi Devs,
>
> doing some plugins, and working both with plugins from
> hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository (my own) and plugins living at
> github (wktplugin from Allesandro), it appears to me that github seems
> to work more transparant for me...
>
> Eg at github after a couple of days you could see that people forked
> Allesandro's plugin and you could even see what they were doing with it
> (by going to the forkers github repo). I could even contact those people
> to ask to do a pull request etc etc.
>
> I think, this cannot be done at our own hub.qgis.org-repo?
> Or am I missing something in this?
>
> I think it is really helpfull to see what other people are adding/doing
> with a plugin. And it hopefully also minimizes the private
> branching/forking of plugins.
>
> I read something about the old jquery plugins site, which broke down,
> and now there is a message at
> http://blog.jquery.com/2011/12/08/what-is-happening-to-the-jquery-plugins-s
> ite/ that says: "we’ve started converting our plans into action, building
> out an infrastructure that’s backed by GitHub".
>
> Isn't that an ideal situation for QGIS plugin future to?
>
> I am NOT wanting to throw away the infrastructure we have now! It's just
> that I like the jquery plugin idea...
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde
>
> ps as a temporary solution I think to fork (is forking actually adding a
> new remote?) my repo's to github too...
>
> ps2 (sorry for too much words on the list from my side.... I will go in
> stealth mode .... now)

Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
http://www.sourcepole.com