[Qgis-developer] bug stats

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 16 22:23:55 EST 2011

On 17/12/2011, at 03:33 , Alex Mandel wrote:

> On 12/16/2011 10:16 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> Looking at the redmine stats, I think one good thing for the project would be to
>> shoot Faunalia down: me and Giovanni Manghi alone opened about 20% of all tickets
>> still open (14% of the total).
>> Are we unlucky, or are other users lazy?
>> All the best.
>
> One way to think about it is by dividing up the potential bug reporters
> into groups:
> * People with bugs who have no idea what's wrong and never ask
> * People with bugs who ask on the mailing lists
> * People with bugs who already are up on the mailing list traffic and
> know how to use the bug tracker
> * People with bugs who already are up on the mailing list traffic and
> know how to use the bug tracker, who also know what to report and don't
> fear messing up on a bug report or 2, have the time to adequately gather
> bug info and are not core coders
> * Core coders
>
> If I had to guess as to the % of users in each of those categories:
> 70%
> 23%
> 5%
> 2%
> 0.1%
>
> So yes, lazy is a factor but not the only one. We should think about how
> to make finding existing reports easier, better docs on how to deal with
> errors for new/normal users, etc. More organized bug hunts to train bug
> hunters (I plan to do one at some pt).

I think I fall into the middle group.

The things that slow me down or stop me filing more are.
1. I'd like to know someone else has it first. So if it really bugs me, I usually ask on the list first. I do this because
	a) Often I'm just plain doing it wrong.
	b) Often it's something that happens on just one of the computers I'm supervising but not on any other computer in the known universe. (For instance on 1 of our computers we have something like Augus's georefrencer problem, *sometimes*, but not on any other computers.)

2. Trying to work out what's going on so as to say something useful. (I'm really a user, and not an admin. It takes me a bit longer to figure things out).

3. People get grumpy about duplicate bugs. Trying to work out if the bug has been reported before is painful. (and has been discussed recently)

-ramon.