[Qgis-developer] Quality assurance

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Dec 17 05:38:45 EST 2011

Agus, I think that developers know about their responsibility. You do
them wrong if you think they regard QGIS as a "testbed".

In my experience, most serious bugs are fixed very quickly. But - you
cannot expect people to work for you all the time for free. When I ask
developers (like Marco and Jürgen) to fix issues, they often do this as
part of paid work (because they developed this new feature) or because I
have a number of support hours I pay them for. After all, for ESRI,
Geomedia, Mapinfo you also pay for support - so why not for QGIS?

In your courses - which version are you using? Also - for macintosh: we
all know that there are many more bugs on OSX. I always tell people
interested in QGIS on OSX that the Windows and Linux version works
better. What can we do if qt (and QGIS) is tested less on OSX?

Regarding testing: can we perhaps partition QGIS in several modules and
assign people to be responsible for QA on a particular module?

As an example, one person may be responsible for testing Postgis data
sources and connections, another person may be responsible for the
raster display, one for projections, digitizing, etc. - if something
seriously breaks in a module the responsible person should make sure it
is fixed before another release.

I for my part would help in such an effort.

Andreas