[Qgis-developer] Quality assurance

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Dec 17 06:47:03 EST 2011

Il 17/12/2011 11:04, Germán Carrillo ha scritto:

> Here in my University, QGIS is seen as a 'buggy' software, so some professors and
> lecturers are not considering it anymore and are choosing proprietary software for
> the exercises.

I think this is the exception rather than the rule. I see QGIS adoption increasing at
a speedy pace, and in fact eroding the position of several other programs, both
proprietary and free. Here in Italy the increase is rather spectacular.

> I myself stopped installing each QGIS new version in my laptop because I know there
> are lots of bugs I don't want to deal with

I think this is the root of the problem: if you do not want to deal with your
problems, why do you expect somebody else to do it for you, and for free?

> predictable way. I've also reported some bugs but nothing seems to happen with the
> report after a while and that discourages users like me. For me it seems that the bug
> doesn't care anyone, not even the author of the module/plug-in.

I care of the bugs that are a problem for me, either by fixing them myself or by
paying someone to do it for you.

> I think you already suggested something like an ongoing contest of bug fixes. I thing
> this simple thing could encourage people to visit the bug tracker and see what they
> can fix. Of course, I don't know whether you have enough time to arrange it.

To have a proper contest, we should have money to fuel it. So everybody is encouraged
to contribute, with their time, donation, or sponsorship.
Thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu