[Qgis-developer] Quality assurance

Giuseppe Sucameli sucameli at faunalia.it
Sat Dec 17 08:12:28 EST 2011

Hi all,

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 17/12/2011 11:38, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
>> Also - for macintosh: we
>> all know that there are many more bugs on OSX. I always tell people
>> interested in QGIS on OSX that the Windows and Linux version works
>> better. What can we do if qt (and QGIS) is tested less on OSX?
>
> I had the same experience. AFAICT, OSX users are often reluctant to report bugs; and
> if nobody reports it, devs cannot know about it. So in the end, in free software
> users have the power - let's use it.

and devs have difficult to fix them without OSX running as well
(not all people have a Mac or want to buy it).

The last week I fixed a bug the GdalTools plugin was affected on
OSX standalone, thanks to William (KyngChaos) that helped me
in understand how the OSX works.
AFAIK OSX applications are mostly standalone (just copy the
application to /Applications makes it working), so OSX users
prefer this kind of application instead of the unix style.

After this I hope to see again a new QGis standalone for OSX,
otherwise fixing it was just a waste of time.

But the problem is still the same, a lot of devs cannot run OSX,
so are unable to understand where the code fails.
And also I was unable to do it until the 2 weeks ago (I haven't
buy a Mac, don't you worry :), but anyway I didn't know how the
OSX system works.

For this reason IMHO the OSX users (and power-users too)
should do more than other ones, not filling tickets only but also
helping devs in fixing it.

Just my 2 cents.
Regards.

--