[Qgis-developer] Plugin reorganization (again)

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 08:38:25 EST 2011

Hi again,

I tried to fix pitfall mentioned by Gary and implement Paolo's
suggestion about adding
categories to plugin metadata.

Added new plugin metadata "category" which contain name of the menu/toolbar from
where plugin will be available. For example, Interpolation plugin will
have "Raster"
category, fTools ­— "Vector" etc. This metadata used by Plugin Manager
to display
additional text after plugin description [0].

It is not necessary to update all existing python plugins (but recommended), by
default if there is no category — "Plugins" category will be used. C++ plugins
should be recompiled because base QgsPlugin class was changed. I think this
if acceptable, most C++ plugins are core plugins.

Also I update reorganize-plugins branch in my fork [1].

Comments, suggestions are welcome

[0] http://gis-lab.info/share/alexbruy/img/new-plugin-manager.png
[1] https://github.com/alexbruy/Quantum-GIS/tree/reorganize-plugins

--