[Qgis-developer] Plugin reorganization (again)

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 03:45:01 EST 2011

Hi Alessandro

2011/12/21 Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>:
> I'm not sure I got it right, does this metadata also apply to python plugins ?
Yes, this metadata applied to all plugins: Python and C++

> A few questions arise in this case:
>
> 1 - are there any plan for making any use of the plugin "tags"
> metadata as was planned in Lisbon ?
Unfortunately I miss Lisbon meeting and can't find any page with
results of this discussion. I think we anyway should review QGIS
plugin system and make it more user friendly and improve it's
usability.

> 2 - the new optional "category" metadata can be any value or the
> choice will be a limited set  ("vector" "databases" etc.)
There is no limitations, but as this metadata now used to inform users
where to find plugin I suggest to limit available values with currently
available menu/toolbar entries.

> 3 - do you think that the category will ever be a tree data structure
> or it will always be a flat list ?
Well, I think something like tree with categories (and maybe subcategories)
and filtering capabilities will be nice. Also it will be good to move plugin to
the proper menu/toolbar automatically, not using hardcoded destination.

--
Alexander Bruy