Plugin developer documentation, used to be [Qgis-developer] reorganizing menus

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 07:17:47 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it's time to think about how we want to organize (plugin) developer
> documentation in the future. Currently, we have information spread over the
> wiki, PyQGIS Cookbook and the main API documentation itself.
>
> Imho, we should decide if we want to have that kind of information in wiki
> or the cookbook. Keeping both up to date produces unnecessary work and
> confuses those who are willing to learn plugin development.

Hi Anita

I would prefer to keep the cookbook as a reference guide for the
developers and merge the interesting stuff from wiki to the cookbook.
The "rst" format is better for this kind of developer documentation,
additionally sphinx (the docs generator) allows also creation of other
output formats.

> The advantage of the wiki approach certainly is that everyone with an OSGeo
> account can edit it without much effort. The cookbook on the other hand
> already contains much more information.

We could add a short section to cookbook on how to contribute (fork,
edit, make pull request).

Regards
Martin