[Qgis-developer] What is the C++ Plugin writing Workflow?

aruntheguy at gmail.com aruntheguy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 07:14:55 EST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net>wrote:

> This looks like you have not so much experience with c++ (like me, no
> offence :-)) just try..
>
> If you are on Linux, and want to build via commandline, follow the
> instructions in the INSTALL doc which you can find in the source tree, or
> online on github:
> https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/INSTALL
>
> Try this (this is I think just the best en most accurate source there is),
> so you have an idea how to use it.
>
> To make it a easier, you can use an IDE for compiling and debugging. I
> would say, try qtcreator (instructions on tims blog:
> http://linfiniti.com/2011/06/using-qtcreator-with-qgis/ )
>
> I would think it is easiest if you want to try using a IDE
>
> And after that, just start hacking your plugins (you have to know off
> course about interfaces, classes etc etc, but that is 'normal' programmers
> knowledge).
> Don't worry about 'compiling whole qgis for just a plugin'. Your compile
> tools will handle this nicely: only the first time you compile everything
> (in debug mode) and it will take some time, but after that a compile/build
> will just take seconds. And it is good to have your own debug build of
> qgis so you can debug step into ALL qgis code, to find out why something
>
> Just try one of the above options first. But there are even instructions
> for building it with  Eclipse/CDT if you are familiar with that:
> http://linfiniti.com/2011/12/compiling-qgis-with-eclipts-cdt-on-ubuntu/
>
> If you are on Windows... there are instructions in the INSTALL about that
> also. I was even able to compile it in a virtual windows machine with
> Visual Studio Express.
>
> Tim and Jef put a lot of effort to keep the building instructions up to
> date. I think they do a very good job with this. But there is really some
> learning curve for it...
>
> Hopefully this works for you!
>

> Regards,
>

> Richard Duivenvoorde

Thank you for sending the detailed explanation of how to do things. I
followed the install instructions and compiled the code about 2 times. It
took long time, only then sent out the mail. I thought ccmake was included
in the package list, only to find out it wasn't actually there. I am
writing a follow up mail in this regard too.

Arunmozhi
Twitter: @tecoholic
Website: http://arunmozhi.in
IRC Nick: teco