[Qgis-developer] Syntax highlighting in expression builder dialog

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 09:01:37 EST 2011

Hi all,

I'm currently working on adding some basic syntax highlighting to the
expression builder that I added to QGIS a couple of months ago in order to
make it a bit more user friendly. The dialog is used for the new labeling
expression dialog and the WFS filtering, with it planned to be used in
other areas at some stage.

What I would like to know is what kind of stuff people would like to see
highlighted, and how?

So far I have:

   - Strings in dark green e.g anything in single quotes
   - Field names or anything in double quotes (which is how to handle
   fields with spaces) e.g "field Name"

I want to keep the highlighting to a minimum otherwise it has the reserve
effect to what it is trying to solve.

What are peoples thoughts?

P.S Changing the coloring of the highlighting will be on the TODO list but
for now I just want to get a basic usable highlighter in place.

P.P.S If you want to see what I have so far you can compile my working
branch at
https://github.com/NathanW2/Quantum-GIS/tree/expression-builder-highlighter
note:
It's still a work in progress.