[Qgis-developer] slowness reading shp

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Feb 19 02:18:29 EST 2011

Il giorno ven, 18/02/2011 alle 23.58 +0100, Martin Dobias ha scritto:
> The main performance killer here is painting of borders. The layer is
> rendered several times faster if you set border style to "no pen".

This has no noticeable effect in my case.

> Also disable anti-aliasing - that also eats a lot of time.

Yes, I already didi this.

> Build
> spatial index to speed up rendering of small parts of the map.

Right.

> The clear direction is to merge threading branch to trunk. It contains
> some optimizations for rendering, plus it does not freeze while
> rendering and continuously updates the map. So even when working with
> huge layers, it's possible to see how rendering continues and zoom/pan
> to desired region of interest without having to wait until rendering
> of the last map finished.

Any idea about when it will be merged? Anyone working on this?
What performance gain would you expect with threading?

Anyway, I suspect there is something else: rendering is so much faster
in other apps that it seems to me some part (Qt?) is doing something
wrong here.

All the best.
--
http://www.faunalia.it/pc