[Qgis-developer] Send us your tips!

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Feb 19 11:51:19 EST 2011

Hi

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> W dniu 19.02.2011 11:02, Tim Sutton pisze:
>> Yesterday I added a 'tip of the day' type dialog that appears when
>> QGIS starts.
>
> Good idea and very nice feature.
>
>> If you are a developer, you can add tips directly to
>> src/app/qgstipfactory.cpp - it should be self explanatory what to do
>> when you look at the source.
>
> Your code is ready for i18n, but I can't find those phrases in translation
> files (trunk). Are .ts files updated daily or there is another reason?
>
> And one more observation. Looking for tips in general program settings, I
> found increasing number of options. Regular user can be lost...
> Do you remember our discussion during hackfest considering two UI -
> simplified and advanced.
> It can apply to menu elements, forms content but also to tips.

Yes we need to simplifiy things down a lot for 2.0. I like the gnome
approach of give simple sensible defaults and if you really want to be
a geek you have to delve into gconf - rather than the kde4 approach
where there are so many options and tweaks its difficult to remember
what they mean and where they are in the option panels.

Regards

Tim

Regards

Tim