[Qgis-developer] slowness reading shp

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 14:43:19 EST 2011

Hi,

>  Just a quick note that 'big' for a shapefile could be in any of three
> dimensions:
>
>  1: Lots of features
>  2: Lots of points in each polygon or line feature
>  3: Lots of attribute data in the .dbf
>
> Now, #3 shouldn't affect shapefile rendering speed (but will have on
> completely different areas of the code.

the shape I used seems quite big in all three ways. In any case the
threading branch seems the right direction at least for rendering the
geometries. Editing that huge datasets can another problem, but qgis
does not seems to be the only one with this issue: of gvsig I have
already told, kosmo renders the vector more or less the same speed of
gvsig/qgis threading but then chokes when editing. uDig is super fast
rendering the vector but then again chokes when editing.

here the vector

http://www.iucnredlist.org/spatial-data/MAMMALS_TERRESTRIAL.zip

cheers

-- Giovanni --