[Qgis-developer] Hackfest vs. Code Sprint

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Feb 21 04:45:18 EST 2011

 Hi QGIS Developers,

 You may have heard that we plan to organize the next QGIS Hackfest
 after the Lisbon meeting in Zurich, at ETH, the technical university.
 (thanks Ionut!)

 The responsible persons gave us permission to host the meeting, under
 the condition that we don't call it hackfest, but something else. We
 discussed and suggested "code sprint". The professor already heard alarm
 bells ringing when the term "hackfest" appears in the context of his
 university. He was concerned that IT and security staff would not
 support our meeting under the term "hackfest".

 The problem with the term "hackfest" is that you will have more
 problems acquiring commercial sponsoring and also more problems finding
 a host. Most commercial or governmental organizations would prefer
 sponsoring a code sprint rather than a hackfest.

 May I suggest that we call it "code sprint" in the future and if you
 agree, that we already start calling it "code sprint" for the Lisbon
 meeting?

 Thanks,
 Andreas

 BTW: many other OS projects also call these events "code sprints" in
 these days.

 --
 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A