[Qgis-developer] icons and styles

mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Tue Feb 22 07:35:12 EST 2011

Hi,
+1 for the style and icon repository!
Maybe you will find useful ideas in the way openclipart.org manages collections and packages.
One contributor of free icons (SJJB?) sometimes puts several icons in one file, see:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/12368

To generate sets of icons from gray scale icons (with or without boundary) you may want to have a look at the scripts I mentioned here:
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Using_OpenStreetMap_data#Add_new_OSM_icons
It may be interesting to separate original svg icons that were designed to be modifiable with scripts and icons meant for end users. The above scripts replace strings in the xml so it's quite easy to understand and use, but I can help you modify it if you need to.
For the metadata/information related to an icon, it could be useful to be able to add some information about its usage in QGIS (with wich style set(s) it is used and with which rule).
For instance, there are already icons to represent those 2 different cases (with OSM data):
tourism=alpine_hut AND heating=fireplace
tourism=alpine_hut AND (heating=no OR [heating key does not exists])
Sharing this would allow the visitors to know how a specific icon is used without having to open all projects. It should be possible to extract the rules from the qml files. Just my 2 cents.
Mayeul