[Qgis-developer] Plugin Development C++ Windows - Any response?

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Wed Feb 23 13:05:21 EST 2011

Hello,

Having written some C++ plugins (for Orfeo Toolbox), I have some
feedback to give.

The current recommended procedure is to have a source build of qgis, add
your plugin inside qgis source tree, hack a QGis CMakeLists to add the
new plugin dir, and recompile Qgis.

In my opinion, a better approach is to build them as external project.
The idea is to be able to build a plugin on top of a prebuilt Qgis
(libqgis-dev on ubuntu/debian, and the OSGeo4W build on windows)

That's what I have set up for the plugins I wrote, but ran into the
following problem :
- There is no FindQgis.cmake or QGisConfig.cmake exported in the qgis
development package (either OSGeo4W or ubuntu/debian), so importing QGis
inside a CMake project must be done "by hand". It's ok with the QGis
include path and the path to libqgis_core. But you have to take care of
importing Qt also, which should be done by a FindQgis.cmake
- I had to hack some QGis #define to make it build on windows
(GUI_EXPORT and CORE_EXPORT). Again, this should be handled by a
ADD_DEFINITION inside a FindQgis.cmake

One other thing : it would be nice if the C++ plugins could be loaded
from another directory than the official one.
Let's say I wrote a bunch of plugins for a specific software, I would
like to store them in their own directory instead of messing up with the
official plugins. Maybe it's already supported but I don't know how to
do it...

Regards,
Julien