[Qgis-developer] Plugin Development C++ Windows - Any response?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 04:03:37 EST 2011

Hi Tim

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

>> One other thing : it would be nice if the C++ plugins could be loaded from
>> another directory than the official one.
>
> Ok I added support for this - see the bottom of the general options
> tab in QGIS Options dialog.
>
> Available in trunk as of r15250.
>
> I have only tested on linux but it should work on linux & mac too.

While custom paths for c++ plugins seems to be a nice feature, I would
like to point out the problems it will bring at some point: imagine
that you compile a plugin for qgis 1.6 and keep it in this custom
directory. Some time later you upgrade qgis to 1.7. The qgis libraries
are not binary compatible between the releases, so there is a good
chance that the plugin will cause some random instabilities - it might
crash qgis on some actions or even cause qgis to fail to start.

I would strongly recommend the users willing to write 3rd party
plugins for QGIS to do that in Python - it's faster to implement, not
required to compile and much easier to distribute.

Regards
Martin