[Qgis-developer] Re: Raster providers

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 13:06:07 EST 2011

Hi Radim,

Turning off python bindings got it to build. Jürgen pointed out this patch from last month that fixed that particular build problem:
http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/changeset/14988

You might want to sync the branch to current trunk, although that could create new problems I suppose. I applied the patch because I was interested in seeing if the branch handles the openlayer plugin for transforms from the Google Mercator projection. I'm happy to report that it worked just fine. This will be a great boon to work that I and many others do, I'm sure.

Not surprisingly, the raster transforms can be very costly with large datasets. A hillside of mine that is 26828 × 28695 with 30m resolution takes several minutes to load in full view. When zoomed in considerably, performance is quite acceptable. (This particular file does not have pyramids built. It is noteworthy that the option to build pyramids is no longer available in the raster provider branch. A dialog saying the file type is not supported for pyramid building is shown. In trunk, the pyramid build option works for the same file.)

Comparing the load time of this raster when the project CRS is the same as the raster (i.e., no transform should be occurring), the load time still requires several minutes. This is true whether or not I have enabled on the fly reprojection in the project options. In contrast, the same file takes several seconds to load in trunk. Perhaps there needs to be a CRS check on rasters to bypass whatever is happening to consume so many cpu cycles when transforms are unnecessary?

All told, this is excellent work. I look forward to whatever efficiency improvements might make it into the code based on the conversations occurring in this thread. I also look forward to this moving into the main branch so everyone can benefit from your work.

Regards,
John