[Qgis-developer] A roadmap to QGIS 2.0

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Jan 18 14:37:10 EST 2011

>  Releasing 2.0 and still no table joins seems to be less than ideal to
>  me and will likely be criticized (e.g. in feature comparisons with other
>  GIS). I'd rather invest more time on the really needed stuff that a
>  basic 2D GIS should deliver, than in 3D. 3D, in my opinion, can wait for
>  2.0 and would then justify the 2.0 release feature wise.

I'm proposing to insert the table join for version 1.8 into the realease
timeline (one after the merge of the threading branch).

There is no conflict between 3D and table join, because different developers are
working on it.

Regards,
Marco

Am Dienstag, 18. Januar 2011, um 15.04:12 schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> [...]
>  would also be nice.
>
>  Releasing 2.0 and still no table joins seems to be less than ideal to
>  me and will likely be criticized (e.g. in feature comparisons with other
>  GIS). I'd rather invest more time on the really needed stuff that a
>  basic 2D GIS should deliver, than in 3D. 3D, in my opinion, can wait for
>  2.0 and would then justify the 2.0 release feature wise.
>
>  This is just my opinion as a user/organization who has to rely on QGIS
>  in daily work.
>
>  Thanks to all of you developers for your efforts!
>
>  Andreas
>
>  On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:05:56 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I think its time to start thinking about getting 2.0 'out'. What do
> > others think? The major goal would be to
> >
> > - clean up the api and remove cruft / inelegant parts / backwards
> > compatibility wrappers
> > - do an overhaul of the api docs and get it to a good state (doxygen
> > wise)
> > - get rid of old labelling completely
> > - get rid of old symbology completely
> > - merge many of the plugins directly into trunk (north arrow, gps,
> > coordinate capture, delimited text, georeferencer, some form of
> > raster
> > colours / 1 band raster colour table etc.)
> > - capitalise on the bug fixing work of SunilRaj from kCube so that
> > his
> > time is going into stabilising for a 2.0 release
> > - show the world that we have reached the next level of maturity and
> > functionality
> > -
> >
> > As such I would propose the following time line
> > (http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Release_Checklists)
> >
> > Release Checklist 1.7 - Not yet named 	1 April 2011
> >
> >   Introduce threaded rendering, raster on the fly projection, 3D
> >
> > globe mode
> > Release Checklist 1.8 - Not yet named 	1 July 2011
> >
> >   Full GUI freeze for 2.0, no more old symbology, old labelling
> >
> > Release Checklist 2.0 - Not yet named 	1 September 2010
> >
> >   API changes finalised, all deprecation wrappers removed, API docs
> >
> > tidied up.
> >

> > The timing would allow us to have 2.0 ready to make a splash at the
> > next FOSS4G conference.
> >
> > Any comments? Does this work for others? Any other major additions
> > folks think should be in place before QGIS goes out?
> >
> > I look forward to your feedback,
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Tim
> >

> > --
> > Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release
> > Manager)
> > Please do not email me off-list with technical
> > support questions. Using the lists will gain
> > more exposure for your issues and the knowledge
> > surrounding your issue will be shared with all.
> >
> > Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
> >  * QGIS programming and support services
> >  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
Churerstr. 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland