[Qgis-developer] Plugins repository

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 03:29:43 EST 2011

2011/1/25 Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>

> Hi
>

> 2011/1/25 Václav Řehák <rehakv01 at gmail.com>:
> > 2011/1/24 Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>:
>
> > Thanks. One more source of confusing is when I upload my plugin and
> > click "edit" I am not listed as owner in the many to many field. If I
> > add myself, save it and go back to edit, I am clear from the list of
> > owners. Is this intended behaviour?
>
> Thats a question for Alessandro who worked on the plugin manager.
>
> Regards

Yes, I admit that I've been in doubt about the specifications and I've
implemented a small variation, the specs say :

"there is always one or more owners for a plugin, any owner of a plugin can
add new people as co-owners. Only owners are allowed to upload new versions,
edit or completely remove a plugin. If the owner of a plugin disappears, a
new owner could be assigned for the plugin by the admins"

I saw a potential contradictory statement because "there is always one or
more owner"  means that cannot happen that  "the owner of a plugin
disappears", at least one should remain. There is also a potential problem
with co-owners excluding the original uploader from owners list.

So, I propose another way: the original author (the user who created the
plugin) is not listed in owners but has always the same privileges of the
(zero or more owners).

I would change the specs to:

"A plugin has always an author and zero or more co-authors. Only the author
or the co-authors are allowed to upload new versions, edit or completely
remove a plugin. Co-authors can be added and deleted by the author or by
other co-authors"

This is how the plugin app currently works, avoiding potential "orphan"
plugins and original authors deleted by co-owners.

I will hide the original uploader from the co-authors/co-owners select to
avoid any confusion (a soft trigger is  already in place to avoid having the
author in owners list, even if it is probably harmless).

Let me know what do you think about this modification.

Thanks

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it