[Qgis-developer] Convert v1.7 project files to v1.6?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 05:58:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM, uk52rob <uk52rob at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> All,
>

> I have now moved back to v1.6 after the many issues faced with v1.7, and I
> support Andreas Neumann’s e-mail of yesterday.
>

> The issue I am now up against is that v1.6 cannot open v1.7 project files,
> it simply crashes. Project files which were not opened and saved in v1.7 are
> still fine.
>

> I have been into v1.7 on another windows computer, but there is no option to
> save the project as a backwards compatible file. Perhaps this can be an
> option for the future?
>

> If anyone has any solutions to this, I would be grateful. Otherwise, I will
> have to re-create the projects manually in v1.6.

 Not got a full solution, but you might get some joy from editing .qgs
files manually - they are XML and so can be edited using a text editor
(eg emacs on Unix, notepad++ on Windows). I've done some comparisons
by loading 1.6 files into 1.7 and saving, then diffing the results.
Apart from the change of version in the header there's a few tags that
appear in 1.7, and some other differences. If your projects aren't
that complicated you could possibly manually edit a 1.7 file back to
1.6 compatibility.

 Hope that's not too impossible or too obvious. I suspect saving as an
old version from 1.7 might be difficult given new functionality in
1.7. But if people are finding 1.7 broken.... yikes...

Barry