[Qgis-developer] Rethinking the testing and release procedure of QGIS

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Fri Jul 8 11:10:45 EDT 2011

Hi Tim

I also like a mandatory workflow for branching, request for merge, integrate
(and also the unit tests for new features). However, let's discuss the details
here and let people from the developer team comment if they think to be able
to work like this. If we achieve a clear consensus, we can write it down and
then I can do the shouting, no problem.

Because in svn times, we also had a branching / merging policy. But after some
time, most devs  found it unpractical to develop new features in branches
only. In the end nobody did it (which I still think is a pitty).

> branch
> write tests
> work
> request for merge
> integrate

For me, this workflow is fine in case of new features. For smaller changes or
quick bugfixes, it seems unhandy to always write a unit test for it.
Furthermore we would discourage people from generating small pull requests
like that.

What do other developers think about it?

Regards,
Marco

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 21.15:39 schrieb Tim Sutton:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:
> > Il 07/07/2011 16:21, Martin Dobias ha scritto:
> >> some kind of challenge :-) And maybe to have someone who will start
> >> shouting when new functionality does not receive tests :-)
> >
> > right, this seems a crucial role: perhaps the release manager is the
> > right person for this?
> > all the best.
>
> I'm happy to do it, though as code manager it might make more sense
> for  Marco to do it. We should get in the habit of
>
> fork
> branch
> work
> write tests
> request for merge
> integrate
>
> or something along those lines. When merges are done and all tests are
> passing in theory the code should be release ready...
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> > --
> > Paolo Cavallini: http://www.faunalia.it/pc

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland