[Qgis-developer] feature-request: qgis-desktop -> qgis-server integration

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jul 11 04:43:52 EDT 2011

 Hi Richard,

 I can see value in this for certain users, but on the other hand I see
 a lot of complexity that I do not know how to solve. Servers have
 different ways to transfer files. My own server only accepts scp/sftp
 connections, not ftp. In house server are maybe accepting nfs or samba
 shares, or may even share the same location between desktop and server
 (in my case) in which no file transfer is necessary. Then there is the
 security issue with storing login information. In the case of scp/sftp
 we can do a key exchange, but this also makes the process harder for the
 user. Also, there are firewall issues. At my employer everything except
 port 80 and 443 is blocked and we need to go through a proxy. For this
 reason, my external server listens at port 443 for ssh/scp/sftp
 connections.

 Next to the .qgs project file and linked data sources, there is also
 the need to copy symbol or font resources: ttf files and svg symbols.

 And finally: WMS and db resources may be different between internal and
 external server. I personally use a pg_service definition instead of the
 hostname. The service name is identical on both servers, but the
 hostname is different. For WMS servers I do not have a solution. I have
 to use find/replace for these .qgs files using different WMS.

 Any idea how to manage this complexity? I think it would be worthwile
 trying to solve the issues, but it is not trivial.

 Andreas

 On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 09:32:04 +0200, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> Geoserver has a so called 'REST'interface: it's possible to push
> (PUT) a
> dataset to the geoserver, and immediately registre it as
> layer-service
>
> What about bringing something like this (slowly) into qgis:
>
> - given a saved project with mirrored data on client/server: push
> 'current' qgis-project file to the qgis-server, to immediately have
> this
> project available on the server
> - option: for smaller dataset in a qgisproject with relative paths:
> wrap
> up the (selected layer?) data(files only?) in a zip and PUT those
> next
> to the uploaded qgis-project file on the server.
>
> I have a use case for this available :-)
> A user with small scanned maps that they want to show in a browser:
> - georeference a scan
> - view/adjust in qgis
> - push to qgis server from within qgis
>
> I would think for a start we can do without full protocol
> descriptions:
> just literally push qgs/data next to server (which has to get adapted
> handle this off course)
>
> I'm aware of a potential security risk here
> I know scp, but my users not (and probably on windows-desktops)
>
> Do devs/people see something in this?
>
> How to proceed: write a wikipage for this? Or a feature-request?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde
>
> see
>
> http://docs.geoserver.org/2.1.1/user/restconfig/rest-config-examples/rest-config-examples-curl.html