[Qgis-developer] Re: forum.qgis.org

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:03:22 EDT 2011

comments on tims post!

> - +1 for moving wiki into redmin if Otto is agreeable

definitely +1 from me .. spreading it all into different pages while the
infrastructure is already there and could be held on one place is not
very good (otherwise - single point of failure - but i think thats not
that important for us).
and of course there will be another move then (svn->git, trac->redmine
and now wiki->redmine)
I already had some talks with people that do not follow qgis week by
week that they are a bit confused now where to search for information..
And I should also blame myself having some people asking for a new
translation language (estonian) and asking if they are correct in using
SVN ... no wiki page update - or at least there are 3 places to find
that info ..
So I highly recommend also a consolidation of the Wiki pages and not
only a move ..

> - Regarding joomla logins - we dont really encourage community logins
> / commenting on posts etc on the joomla site so I would not worry
> about spending time on it (for ldap integration I mean). Ultimately I
> would like to discard joomla and use our Django infrastructure to do
> the content management. Then we would really only be managing two web
> infrastructures: redmine and django. But that is something for the
> future.

Yeah - allthough I like joomla I feel it's a bit displaced now and I
myself would have made the suggestion to "redesign" and move the webpage
to a better place .. and like tim said - as we already have django - why
not moving it to django (I would like to be a programmer on that place,
anyone willing to teach? ;) )

> - Regarding the forums I would alos like to get rid of it but have
> also come across people in Real Life who have found them (and Anita,
> forum Queen :-) ) to be extremely helpful in getting started. I would
> suggest to make the forums read only with a big banner asking them to
> post to stack exchange rather as an interum solution. Also the fine
> folks from the Russian FOSSGIS community (Maxim et al) have offered to
> maintain the forums for us if needed.

As I know that there is always the problem with a lot of forum spam I
also agree to make it read only and shut it down (within a year or so)
suggestion with banner +1 - I think people will feel well moving to
stack exchange .. It's just a pity that we probably will loose all the
already answered questions in our forum.

I think Anita is the one who will decide as she puts most of her time
into the forum..

kind regards
Werner