[Qgis-developer] Print Composer crashing

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Wed Jul 20 11:40:51 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is related to the Print Composer problems being discussed on the user list. Thus far I haven't had the white stripe.

I've been having problems where the Print Composer either
a) causes QGIS to crash out-right, or
b) appears to hang then gives a dialogue saying "bad allocation", which then breaks that composer session, and usually crashes QGIS shortly afterwards.

To replicate, I provide a small .zip file http://www.members.westnet.com.au/ramon_et_al/PrintComposerError.zip
1. Unzip, and open the project.
2. Using the print manager, open one of the compsers.
3. Export to image. If the geology (filled polygon) layer is in the composer, the the composer will not complete.

I'm having similar problems with printing directly to printer, and to PDF.

I've tried this project out on:
Win7 64-bit using standalone 1.7 install
Win7 64-bit using osgeo 1.7 install (there are debug files from this system provided)
Win7 64-bit using osgeo 1.8 install
WinXP 32-bit using standalone 1.7 install

I'm fairly sure that its related to something specific in certain vector files. For instance the polygon file provided is an excerpt of one that is giving me problems.

Would it be possible for someone to confirm that I'm not hallucinating?
If there is a problem, is it likely to be that there is something about that file that causes problems? If so, does anyone have any suggestions? I've pointed the f-tools geometry validation tool at it and nothing came up.

-ramon.