[Qgis-developer] osgearth/globe - osg plugins?

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Wed Jul 27 05:21:56 EDT 2011

Hi William,

Great news! Your and Jürgens packaging efforts are very engouraging to continue
working on the QGIS globe.

Am Montag, 25. Juli 2011, um 15.51:04 schrieb William Kyngesburye:
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 3:48 AM, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:
> > Hi William,
> >
> > On 07/25/2011 03:11 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
> >> I finally worked through OSG and osgEarth compilation on OS X and have
> >> the Qgis Globe plugin apparently working.  Now I'm working on bundling
> >> of osg/osgEarth in the application for distribution, and I have a
> >> couple questions.
> >>
> >> Does the globe plugin make use of any osg/osgearth plugins, and if so
> >> which?  Or is it transparent to globe and it can use any osg plugins?

The globe makes use of these osgearth plugins (and maybe more):
osgdb_osgearth_worldwind.so
osgdb_osgearth_tileservice.so
osgdb_earth.so
osgdb_osgearth_tilecache.so

Also a few OSG plugins will be used. But I think there are no optional plugins
with additional dependencies necessary.

> > as far as I can recall the plugins are transparent and we have no plugin
> > specific code: "The OpenSceneGraph database plugin library osgDB
> > automatically loads plugins on demand, using the extension of the file
> > being loaded/saved to determine which plugin to load."
> >
> >> How does osg handle alternate paths for osg plugins, and does the globe
> >> plugin make use of this?  I guess it would have to something configured
> >> for compilation.
>
> But, can an alternate osg plugin searth path be specified from osgEarth, or
> can this be added.  I can't bundle osg/osgEarth in the QGIS application if
> not, and must distribute a separate package like my other frameworks
> (though maybe others would be interested in that).

You can set OSG library search paths at runtime with OSG_LIBRARY_PATH or
OSG_LD_LIBRARY_PATH
(http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/UserGuides/EnvironmentVariables).
If you want to bundle the libraries together with QGIS, then the cmake
variables CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and OSG_PLUGINS of OSG/OSGEarth have to be
changed at least. If you set OSG_PLUGINS to an empty string, the plugins will
be installed in the same directory as the libraries.
On the QGIS globe side only the OSG*LIBRARY cmake variables have to be
changed.

Regards
Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions