[Qgis-developer] About author in Plugins site

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:18:08 EDT 2011

2011/7/28 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>

> Il 17/06/2011 11:20, Giuseppe Sucameli ha scritto:
>
> > I'm going to copy Faunalia's plugins to the new plugins site, but in this
> moment
> > I cannot do it because once I upload them the site displays that I'm the
> author.
> >
> > Why don't change it from Author to Maintainer?
> > So who upload a plugin become its maintainer and not its author.
> >
> > I think would be good to distinguish between these 2 roles.
>
> Hi all.
> Would it be possible to move on along these lines?
> Thanks.

Hi Paolo,

1 - please file a ticket
2 - I see three different solutions to this issue:

a - change the field string label from "Author" to "Maintainer" and change
the author from the admin panel to match the current maintainer, this would
of course loose the information about the original author, but you can
always put that name into the description
b - rename existing "author" field to "maintainer" and add an optional
"author" string field (alter DB schema), no need for the author to be an
existing user
c - add a new (mandatory) "maintainer" field (alter DB schema). This option
requires that both author and maintainer are existing users. The maintainer
and the author could be the same user.

solution "a" is a trivial hack/patch.

solution "b" and "c" require much more work: the permission system is
tightly coupled to the plugin's author and changing that code  means that
all the models and the views have to be carefully checked and refactored.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it