[Qgis-developer] QGIS mobile report #2

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 3 14:45:16 EDT 2011

On 06/03/2011 08:44 AM, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:
> Hi all, this week i leaped more into the cross compile realm. Geos almost
> done and started with proj4. I updated my necessitas infrastructure to
> necessitas v 0.2 and we decide to target android 3.0 which is optimized for
> tablets. I havent updated the wiki yet since i've been (and still am) mainly
> offline at the moment.
> On the dev list of Qgis tere have been interesting discussions about the
> needs of qgis mobile. Pity they started only now. Next week I ll continue
> crosscompiling and resume the list discussion on the wiki.
> Ciao Marco
> (sent from my mobile)

Well not a total loss, the libraries you are working on compiling for
mobile devices need to be done no matter what.

I think the big question mark later will be what GUI get's put in front
of the libraries to provide an interface for users. But you'll need to
get the qgis core compiled on something like Android before that really
becomes an issue.

Qt if possible sounds good, but I can see how QT QML might be a better
choice and more likely to be transferable cross mobile platform.

In terms of focus on platforms, Ubuntu has already shown it can be
compiled for android tablets (Not much need to get QGIS on that once its
working good), Meego is still a ways off from the gates, Qt on iOS also
seems a bit behind too.
http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/wiki/Compile

FYI, GPL code can't be put in the Apple App Store, ToS is incompatible
with the GPL.

I guess what I'm getting at is I think you should focus on Android for
now, and see how far you can get compiling all the required libs. Then
compare QT vs QT QML for implementing an interface.

Thanks,
Alex