[Qgis-developer] problems with RGB rasters under Windows

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 06:59:28 EDT 2011

Hi all,

a few users reported to me saying that they were having problems with
rasters under Windows (long time to open rasters, resulting image with
"funny" colors) so I started a few tests.

After a *lot* of tests, removing and re-installing form scratch both
qgis (osgeo4w and standalone, the latter created with creatensis.pl) and
Windows (XP and Seven, both 32 and 64 bit) on different machines, I can
confirm this issue:

On qgis-trunk (but probably also under 1.7) it takes a lot of time to
open RGB rasters (single band rasters are not affected), even small
TIFFs of 30mb. Then the resulting image renders with "wrong" colors.
After the raster is added to the canvas, zooming and panning the map
seems normal.

QGIS 1.6 is not affected as it isn't qgis-trunk under Linux.

I'll open a ticket about this issue with a couple of screenshots just to
show what I mean with "wrong" colors.

Odd enough, I have also a XP machine (I haven't reinstalled de OS on
this one) that already had qgis-trunk osgeo4w installed and doesn't show
the above issue and that is not replicable even removing and
re-installing qgis from scratch.

Anyone else is seeing this?

Cheers

-- Giovanni --