[Qgis-developer] Re: dealing with "long" primary keys

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Sun Jun 5 11:46:35 EDT 2011

Hi,
I suggest you try osm2postgresql, which converts bigint into int4 to be
compatible with QGIS and works fine so far.

To simplify rendering with QGIS, the osm2postgresql script sets up a
PostgreSQL database, imports OSM data into it and process those data
(including multi-polygons with holes).

However, I've seen on the OSM dev list that some threshold for the
number of nodes will be reached soon and this might become an issue; if
so, I will adapt the script to have a primary key as only nodes with
tags are needed for rendering (in the structure created
byosm2postgresql, there is a table called nodes_with_tags, aimed at
this).

See:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2postgresql

Hope this helps,