[Qgis-developer] qgis-mapserver: user authentication

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jun 14 03:22:46 EDT 2011

 Hi Giovanni,

 I would be interested in having a solution that works in a generic way
 for many people/projects.

 There are several problems involved:

 * user authentification (also needs a secure connection (https)) -
 could be handled by a python script?
 * user data storage (can be in a database table (e.g. Postgis, SQLite))
 - after the login, QGIS webclient could also store the basic user data,
 such as name and address.
 * QGIS server should be made aware about table permissions
 (roles/groups) and build the GetCapabilities tree accordingly.

 Also, I think permissions should be attached either to
 a) a whole .qgs project (one could use Apache permissions for that)
 b) or certain layers in a .qgs project

 How fast do you need that implemented? I think it would be useful to
 include Pirmin, Marco and Jürgen into the discussion, or whoever else is
 interested. Maybe something to discuss in a telcon/IRC?

 Andreas

 On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:12:07 +0100, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 16:33 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> We are interested in an extension of current qgis-mapserver,
>> allowing different users
>> (or groups of) to see different layers (or different projects).
>> Is anyone working on that, or willing to collaborate on a mainstream
>> solution?
>

> what we need to develop is quite simple (to explain). Users should be
> able to register/login in the webclient (users data stored in a
> geometryless table in the qgis project?), then, depending on what
> user
> group the user belong, show certain layers/groups in the TOC of the
> web
> client. User data (name, address, etc.) should be stored after the
> login
> to allow use them in the print layouts.
>
> One way or another we will have to develop something like that, so we
> would prefer to do it the right way, upstream and in a way that can
> be
> useful to as much people as possible.
>
> If anyone is interested in collaborate please us know.
>
> Cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A