[Qgis-developer] qgis-mapserver: user authentication

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Wed Jun 15 02:56:57 EDT 2011

Hi all

After some thinking and discussions, it seems to me integrating the
authentication directly in QGIS server does not have the same flexibility
compared to a component that sits between webserver and WMS.

E.g. if there is a WFS integration into QGIS webclient (as we discussed in
Lisbon), authentication inside the WMS does not help.

I'm not experienced with the software listed in Pirmins mail (e.g. if
everything requires a Java server). If there is a lightweight component for
access restriction, it could be an approach to bundle it together with QGIS
server to make it easier for the user.

Regards,
Marco

Am Dienstag, 14. Juni 2011, 02.12:07 schrieb Giovanni Manghi:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 16:33 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > We are interested in an extension of current qgis-mapserver, allowing
> > different users (or groups of) to see different layers (or different
> > projects).
> > Is anyone working on that, or willing to collaborate on a mainstream
> > solution?
>
> what we need to develop is quite simple (to explain). Users should be
> able to register/login in the webclient (users data stored in a
> geometryless table in the qgis project?), then, depending on what user
> group the user belong, show certain layers/groups in the TOC of the web
> client. User data (name, address, etc.) should be stored after the login
> to allow use them in the print layouts.
>
> One way or another we will have to develop something like that, so we
> would prefer to do it the right way, upstream and in a way that can be
> useful to as much people as possible.
>
> If anyone is interested in collaborate please us know.
>
> Cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland