[Qgis-developer] QGIS MapServer and jQuery OpenLayer Client for Mobile Devices

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 02:58:35 EDT 2011

Hi Andreas,

Thanks again for your reply.

>  The reason why I went with ExtJS, GeoExt and OpenLayers is that there
>  is a community of governmental organizations around these frameworks in
>  Switzerland, where I work. This way we can share costs and knowledge.

For sure I will go for ExtJS, GeoExt and Openlayers for PC. No
question about that. In fact,
I like to use ExtJS or Sencha Touch in the mobile as well.

>  As to mobile frameworks the same group decided to sponsor OpenLayers to
>  improve mobile device support. This is now available as part of
>  OpenLayers 2.11. We decided that we will be using the Sencha framework
>  (instead of jquery mobile), because it is from the same
>  company/community like ExtJS and also GeoExt will most likely be using
>  the Sencha framework.

The only reason at the moment for I am using jQuery mobile is, I am
able to use Spatialite local server with DOM and WebKit in iOS device
(hopefully in Android, etc as well, Meego tablet is probably easier).
It is hybrid application. It is OL script is enclosed in an Native
app.

I could do the same with Sencha Touch but again no Spatialite or
Sqlite full support, just local web storage.

>  I expect to start working on a mobile client in parallel to QGIS
>  webclient (we could name it QGIS mobile client) in autumn this year if
>  someone wants to join the effort.

OK. I will help you on package it, making it a Native app in iOS,
Android and Meego.

Sencha touch - kitchen sink demo runs as a Native app in iOS SDK 4.3.
I am using iOS 4.2 at moment.

>  Regarding the WMS layer of gis.uster.ch: you should see all you need in
>  the GetCapabilities request listed at http://gis.uster.ch/ - it really
>  contains all the information you need to later issue GetMap,
>  GetFeatureInfo, GetLegendGraphic or GetPrint requests. Note that this is
>  a raster based WMS - it is not a WFS. Here is one link to a
>  GetCapbilities request:

http://gis.uster.ch/cgi/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?map=/home/www/projekte/av/grundplan_av.qgs&service=WMS&Request=GetCapabilities

Ich habe keine anhung, how to use this. OK. I will look at it later on.

At the moment, I am concentrating in getting my WKT from Spatilalite
queries to render to OL. I have problem isolating the WKT data column
so I can pass it to textarea then to WKT passer for OL map render.

Thanks a lot.

Tschuss, Noli