[Qgis-developer] qgis-mapserver: user authentication

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Wed Jun 15 07:07:25 EDT 2011

Paolo,

My quick comments...

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011, um 09.17:11 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:
> My first, *very* quick, review:
>
> Il giorno mar, 14/06/2011 alle 23.07 +0200, Pirmin Kalberer ha scritto:
> > I don't think that authentication should be built into a WMS server.
> > There are many solutions around, doing authentication and authorisation
> > transparently on top of a WMS server:
> > * http://52north.org/communities/security/index.html
>
> java :(

Most of security stuff is in Java :-(
Swisstopo plans to use 52north for securing their OGC services.

> > * http://geoprisma.org/site/index.php
>
> Could not (yet) find any major issues.

Belongs to the UMN MapServer "project stack".
FOSS4G presentation in Denver:
http://2011.foss4g.org/sessions/mapserver-project-stack

http://qurl.org/i91

> > * http://www.secureows.org/
>
> Seems dead (no commit in the last year).

But is in production use, AFAIK.

One advantage I didn't mention is that you delegate the in-depth security
tests to these frameworks.

Regards
Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions